Every owner of an autonomous heating system faces the question of who will do preventive maintenance, regular maintenance, routine maintenance, or urgent repairs to the heating system. There are only two variants: an owner or a service organization.
In the case of independent performance of works, the owner of the heating system must have the appropriate knowledge and know the types and timing of the work. In the second case, the owner must be able to finance the performance of maintenance.
In this article:
The heating system maintenance schedule includes the following activities:
- Periodic visual inspection. These activities concern the condition of the heat generator, manifold, tightness of the pipeline and its connection points, failure of shut-off valves, and cleaning of the filters. These activities are carried out at least once a month.
- Checking the condition of the pumping equipment and correctness of indications of measuring equipment (manometers, thermometers) – once a week.
- Heating equipment maintenance is performed before every heating season.
- Air venting is performed after changing the coolant, replacing CO elements, or troubleshooting emergencies.
- Inspection of works, as well as maintenance of the heating boiler and automatics (smoke and carbon monoxide sensors), is carried out during the period of full maintenance of the heating system (once a year) or when emergencies occur.
For quality maintenance of the HVAC system, it is necessary to choose a responsible contractor – this is the time at which the team can begin to perform the work after receiving a request from the customer. It is very desirable that this point was spelled out in the contract. The cost of HVAC maintenance can be quite impressive for the family budget. That is why most owners perform some types of work on their own, which is reflected in the contract.
Aims and purposes of heating system maintenance
The purpose of heating appliance maintenance is to ensure the performance of heating boilers during the cold season. Preventive and repair work should be carried out in advance. It is common to check the performance of the equipment on an annual basis.
Often it is even a legal requirement: if the owners of autonomous heating systems do not have a document confirming the planned maintenance of equipment, the companies may decide to cut off the fuel or electricity to this system.
Maintenance tasks include preventive measures and possible troubleshooting problems during a test run of the heating medium. Changes are made to the design of the heating system if it was not designed quite correctly, worn parts are replaced, etc. Usually, HVAC servicing for checking the performance of boilers is carried out by the same organizations that installed them. They understand their equipment, which reduces the risk of improper repairs and the presence of additional costs.
Regular maintenance of air conditioning and ventilation systems is essential for their good performance and energy efficiency: without the necessary maintenance of coils, filters, and other important components of the unit, you are likely to experience a steady and significant decline in the performance of your HVAC system.
Preventive maintenance is the best way to extend the life of your air conditioner and avoid costly repairs. As a maintenance contract customer of the ventilation and/or air conditioning system we install, you will receive scheduled maintenance and basic air conditioning repair services for your unit in the area for an agreed-upon period; that way, you won’t have to worry about unexpected problems with it forget about scheduling your appointments with the repairmen every season.
Regulating the types of air conditioning repair:
- Routine preventive repair of the current level. During such repairs, specialists carry out minor repairs of faults that do not require disassembly. If there is a need, faulty elements are replaced.
- Planned and preventive repair of the medium level. This stage includes the replacement of those elements that have failed and require the dismantling of individual assemblies, as well as their disassembly. If there is no possibility to repair the equipment on site, the specialist dismantles the necessary nodes, which are then sent for repair.
- Overhaul. If there is no possibility to repair the breakdown without disassembly of the system, major repairs are performed. In this case, equipment repair is performed by the manufacturer, or the equipment is replaced.
Service preventive maintenance and warranty service
There is a difference between such notions as service and warranty maintenance. Service maintenance is regular system diagnostics that help prevent major breakdowns. Warranty maintenance includes only the correction of those failures that occurred due to mistakes of specialists installing the equipment or shortcomings of the manufacturer.
Is annual HVAC maintenance necessary?
The short answer is yes, annual HVAC maintenance is necessary in order to keep your system running efficiently and effectively. Without proper maintenance, your system will have to work harder to maintain comfortable indoor temperatures, which can lead to increased energy bills and potential repairs down the road.
What is done during HVAC maintenance?
HVAC maintenance is important to ensure that your system is running efficiently and effectively. A professional HVAC contractor will inspect, clean, and test all major components of your system. This includes the air conditioner, furnace, evaporator coils, and ductwork. They will also check for any leaks or damage and make repairs as necessary.