One can find garlands all over the place during the Christmas season. Initially, garlands were prominent in Europe before being brought into the US.
- 16+ Elegant Christmas Centerpiece Ideas
- 19+ Creative Christmas Wreath Ideas
- 25+ Inexpensive Christmas Tree Decorating Ideas
- 13+ Cute and Easy Christmas Ornament Ideas
- 27+ Fun Christmas Craft Ideas For Preschoolers
- 21+ Best DIY Christmas Light Ideas
- 10+ Quick and Easy Christmas Decorating Ideas
- 38+ Farmhouse Christmas Decor Ideas
- 25+ Christmas Porch Decoration Ideas
- 36+ Christmas Wall Decorating Ideas
- 40+ Indoor Christmas Decoration Ideas
- 38+ Outdoor Christmas Decoration Ideas
- 18+ Christmas Tree Topper Ideas
- 18+ Christmas Wedding Decor Ideas
- 16+ Christmas Wood Sign Ideas
- 25+ Christmas Living Room Decor Ideas
- 22+ Christmas Garland Decorating Ideas
- 21+ Outdoor Christmas Planter Decor Ideas
- 30+ Christmas Front Door Decoration Ideas
- 22+ Christmas Cake Stand Decorating Ideas
- 22+ Christmas Mantel Decorating Ideas
- 28+ Gold Christmas Decor Ideas
- 22+ Blue Christmas Decor Ideas
Garlands are usually used to decorate homes to signify that the holiday season has arrived. Also, compared to olden days, garlands are artificially made these days, thereby allowing people to reuse them multiple times.
In this article:
- How do you make Christmas garland?
- What is garland made of?
- 22 best Christmas garland decorating ideas
- 1- Green garland embellished with red and golden ornaments
- 2- Green and red garland with bigger sized ribbon knots
- 3- Candy themed garland
- 4- Snow themed garland
- 5- Garland using Orange peel
- 6- Cloth based Christmas garland
- 7- Silver-blue themed garland
- 8- DIY garland using multiple ‘props’
- 9- Battery operated synthetic garland
- 10- Minimal red garland with single ball ornament
- 11. Felt Garland
- 12. Gold garland
- 13. Candy cane wreath
- 14. Paper garland
- 15. Gingerbread letter garlands
- 16. Trees felt garland
- 17. DIY Lighted burlap garland
- 18. Pinecone garland
- 19. Candy cane garland
- 20. Scandinavian Christmas garland
- 21. Peace
- 22. Dried orange garland
How do you make Christmas garland?
Several methods exist for making a Christmas garland, as part of the home décor. For holiday home decoration, one can create lush, beautiful greenery based Christmas garlands that will wow your family and friends.
A lot of DIY methods are readily available for creating a beautiful Christmas garland. Initially, you have to organize all the elements of your garland to make the entire process very smooth. For attaching your garland, use good-quality command hooks. Step by step process is as follows:
- Fix the hooks on top of the mantel, at each corner. This will compensate for the downward pull of the garland.
- Tuck in the center of the garland to the top hooks.
- Adjust as needed, and then wrap a sprig around each hook to keep it all in place.
- Using a lighter garland removes the extra step and lets you jump ahead to fluffing up the branches.
- You may cut a separate garland into numerous sprigs that can be added into the mix.
- Attach Chenille stems with the initial piece.
- Add as many as you need to achieve the look you want, and move right along to pine needle picks, to create a different look.
- One can use a patterned accent ribbon, along with a solid colored one to compliment it.
- Attach the ribbon to the garland made.
- One can also add poinsettias to bring out the festive mood.
- Add ornaments, which come in varied shapes and sizes
What is garland made of?
Chenille stems are perfect for attaching the sprigs to the garland since they twist and secure easily, and blend right into the greenery. Including pine needle picks into your garland decoration will add yet another element of color and texture to the garland.
One can also add ribbons to the existing garland, after attaching chenille stems. To add poinsettias to the green garland with ribbons, the trick is trimming the stems and bending each into a shepherd’s hook that can be slipped into and around the garland. One can also add ornaments to your garland.
22 best Christmas garland decorating ideas
1- Green garland embellished with red and golden ornaments
This design consists of a garland made from a lot of greenery. Adorn the garland using white gift boxes and multi-color ornaments. A red and white theme can be used on this garland setup, and the design will effectively suit your fireplace.
2- Green and red garland with bigger sized ribbon knots
3- Candy themed garland
This design aesthetic follows that of a red and white pattern. It is adorned with a lot of ornaments and can be hung over the doorway having a lantern in the top middle section.
4- Snow themed garland
You can make this garland using minimal ornaments. The majority of the design elements in this arrangement has to do with the white, snow colored ornaments, and you may match this with a similar designed farmhouse wreath placed at the center of your entry door.
5- Garland using Orange peel
This is an unconventional design for a Christmas garland because it uses only orange peel lined on a thread/wire as its raw material. The peel can be shaped in the form of stars, hearts, and starfish.
6- Cloth based Christmas garland
This is an inexpensive way of making a Christmas garland. Stitch together green, red, and golden-colored clothes and adorn the garland, thus formed, with illuminating lights.
7- Silver-blue themed garland
Using minimal greenery, you can include silver and green ornamental balls of varying sizes to hang along this garland design.
8- DIY garland using multiple ‘props’
Rather than stitching together greenery or similar kinds of ornaments together, try mixing it up with different kinds of ‘props’ from Christmas celebration. Material such as scented paper, fridge magnets, coffee beans, and small twigs from pine trees can be used to create an amazing Christmas garland.
9- Battery operated synthetic garland
Several synthetic garland options are readily available in the market. One of them includes a minimal design, following a black aesthetic and of pine cone beads. Once fully charged, they can operate continuously for 6 hours
10- Minimal red garland with single ball ornament
Suitable for hanging along the stairs, this design can be made by anyone. What you need is a red ribbon of medium length and a red ball ornament.
11. Felt Garland
12. Gold garland
13. Candy cane wreath
14. Paper garland
15. Gingerbread letter garlands
16. Trees felt garland
17. DIY Lighted burlap garland
18. Pinecone garland
19. Candy cane garland
22. Dried orange garland
The easiest way to hang a garland evenly is by finding its middle and lining that up with the center of the mantel. While making a garland, always ensure that the greenery is nice and full.
Adding extra greenery makes the garland life-like. While attaching the ribbon to your garland, the easiest method to follow is tuck and twist method.
Random ribbon arrangement looks best on a garland, with loops appearing to come from within the garland instead of just wrapping around. When adding poinsettias, use only a few in your garland arrangement, as they are usually pretty big. When adding ornaments, fill in bigger sized ones first, followed by smaller ornaments.