The importance of a Christmas tree topper can be summarised based on aesthetics and personal preference. Usually adorned with a star on top of the Christmas tree, it represents the bright polar star that had appeared in the sky on the night when Jesus Christ was born in Bethlehem.
- 16+ Elegant Christmas Centerpiece Ideas
- 19+ Creative Christmas Wreath Ideas
- 25+ Inexpensive Christmas Tree Decorating Ideas
- 13+ Cute and Easy Christmas Ornament Ideas
- 27+ Fun Christmas Craft Ideas For Preschoolers
- 21+ Best DIY Christmas Light Ideas
- 10+ Quick and Easy Christmas Decorating Ideas
- 38+ Farmhouse Christmas Decor Ideas
- 25+ Christmas Porch Decoration Ideas
- 36+ Christmas Wall Decorating Ideas
- 40+ Indoor Christmas Decoration Ideas
- 38+ Outdoor Christmas Decoration Ideas
- 18+ Christmas Tree Topper Ideas
- 18+ Christmas Wedding Decor Ideas
- 16+ Christmas Wood Sign Ideas
- 25+ Christmas Living Room Decor Ideas
- 22+ Christmas Garland Decorating Ideas
- 21+ Outdoor Christmas Planter Decor Ideas
- 30+ Christmas Front Door Decoration Ideas
- 22+ Christmas Cake Stand Decorating Ideas
- 22+ Christmas Mantel Decorating Ideas
- 28+ Gold Christmas Decor Ideas
- 22+ Blue Christmas Decor Ideas
The star acted as a guide for those shepherds who witnessed his birth in a manger that was inhabited by the cattle since his parents couldn’t find a house for shelter.
- What is the most popular Christmas tree topper?
- How do I make a tree topper out of picks?
- How big should my tree topper be?
- 18 best Christmas tree topper ideas
- 1. Starfish themed Christmas tree topper
- 2. Golden dried corn Christmas tree topper
- 3. Red and black horn Christmas tree topper
- 4. Bursting ice flakes themed Christmas tree topper
- 5. Action figure themed Christmas tree topper
- 6. Golden star Christmas tree topper
- 7. Lantern Christmas tree topper
- 8. Gingerbread man Christmas tree topper
- 9. Snowman Christmas tree topper
- 10- ‘Santa and his sleigh’ themed Christmas tree topper
- 11. Star tree topper
- 12. Starburst tree topper
- 13. Large Rosette for topping
- 14. White starburst topper
- 15. Darth Vader tree topper
- 16. Sweater tree topper
- 17. Rustic tree topper from papper roll
- 18. Woven paper tree topper
What is the most popular Christmas tree topper?
Though there are several Christmas tree topper options available in the market today, the most prominent one remains to be either the Christmas star or Christmas angel.
Traditionally, angels are arranged at the top of the Christmas tree, signifying their importance in Jesus’s birth. In the Biblical story about the first Christmas, several angels had appeared before and during the birth of Jesus Christ.
In the first instance, Archangel Gabriel reveals God’s plan to the Virgin Mary, particularly about Jesus’s upcoming birth. An angel also visits Jesus’s foster father, Joseph, in his sleep before the birth of Jesus Christ. Later on, several angels appear in the night sky, when Jesus was born. Angels in this later stage are being represented through the specific tree toppers on the Christmas tree.
How do I make a tree topper out of picks?
One can make a beautiful Christmas tree topper using commonly used household items such as picks. You would need red color paint and ribbons to go along with pick-based Christmas tree topper.
Different topper shapes can be made using picks, ranging from Christmas star to complex designs such as wreaths and detailed figures. Based on the complexity of the topper made, the time elapsed varies.
How big should my tree topper be?
This decision is based on personal preference. But, while deciding on the appropriate size of your Christmas tree topper, it is worthwhile to keep in mind, the following aspects
- Height of your Christmas tree
- Material with which your Christmas tree is made of
- Your preference on the size of the topper. For example, do you prefer a perfectly fitting Christmas tree topper or a larger one?
- Your color preference topper
- Do you want to go with the traditional Christmas star or angel?
- Do you want to make modern adaptations of Christmas tree toppers?
Also, depending on the height of your Christmas tree, you should decide on the size of your Christmas tree topper. The size ranges from 4 inches and can go all the way up to 9 inches, considering the latter size for Christmas trees, taller than 8 feet.
18 best Christmas tree topper ideas
1. Starfish themed Christmas tree topper
This particular design falls under the category of modern Christmas tree toppers. It can be made using cotton, paper, or wood.
2. Golden dried corn Christmas tree topper
This design can be made using twigs and golden ribbon. Natural dried corn can also be painted with golden paint, for making this tree-topper.
3. Red and black horn Christmas tree topper
This design can be made effortlessly at home, using woolen cloth and plastic. After shaping the plastic or PVC pipe into the shape of a bent horn, cover it to its three-fourth with the wool. Paint the wool red and the plastic in black.
4. Bursting ice flakes themed Christmas tree topper
One can use glitter paper and paper straws for making this Christmas tree topper.
5. Action figure themed Christmas tree topper
This is a creative design using custom-built action figures. Certain skill level is required to make a detailed action figure.
6. Golden star Christmas tree topper
This design requires meticulous cutting of glossy paper. The paper can either be golden or silver in color. To provide stiffness to the figure, you may stick the paper on to sheets of hard paper or cardboard
7. Lantern Christmas tree topper
One might need a small readymade and lightweight lantern for keeping on top of your Christmas tree. You can also improve the décor using red and black chequered ribbons
8. Gingerbread man Christmas tree topper
In this design of a Christmas tree topper, either edible gingerbread can be baked in the shape of a gingerbread man, or colored cotton cloth can be used.
9. Snowman Christmas tree topper
This tree-topper can be made using white cotton cloth and black buttons. To fatten the snowman, wool can be used. To provide a bit of creativity to the design, a small red cloth can be wrapped around the shape.
10- ‘Santa and his sleigh’ themed Christmas tree topper
Requiring a bit of creativity and time, this design aptly captures the spirit of the Christmas season. One can either but the figures from the market and arrange on the Christmas tree, or make it at home using locally available material.
11. Star tree topper
12. Starburst tree topper
13. Large Rosette for topping
14. White starburst topper
15. Darth Vader tree topper
16. Sweater tree topper
17. Rustic tree topper from papper roll
18. Woven paper tree topper
Long before the Christmas celebration, evergreen trees regarded as pagan symbols of life for centuries. During the winter months, the elderly prayed and worshipped deities around these trees.
This was also an occasion for get-together, back then. It was during the reign of King Constantine, that the 25th of December began to be adopted by the Christians.
Eventually, Christians began keeping angel/star figures on the top of the Christmas tree during this season, which later was adopted as a common practice. Nowadays, there are many modern ideas of the Christmas tree toppers, not limited to only stars and angels.