We all love a trip to the beach, but it’s even better when we can take it home as shell decoration & craft ideas.
Shells are a wonderful way to smell the salt air and feel the sand between your toes from the comfort of your own home.
In this article:
- 68+ Lawn Edging Ideas
- 75+ Backyard Landscaping Ideas
- 50+ Cottage Style Garden Ideas
- 21+ Genius Garden Ideas on Low Budget
- 30+ DIY Greenhouse Ideas
- 51+ Front Landscaping Garden Ideas
- 27+ Clever Gardening Hacks & Tricks
- 90+ Small Patio Decorating Ideas on a Budget
- 33+ Beautiful Vintage Garden Decor Ideas
- 57+ Best Succulent Garden Ideas
- 31+ Repurposed Old Door Ideas For Your Backyard
- 31+ Gorgeous Built-in Planter Box Ideas
- 58+ Cool Storage Shed Ideas
- 65+ Beautiful Garden Path Ideas
- What Can I Make With Shells?
- What Kind Of Paint Do You Use On Shells?
- How Do You String Shells Together?
- 20 Best Shell Decor & Craft Ideas
- 1. Clean and Preserve Shells to Last a Lifetime
- 2. Decorate Your Seashells with Puffy Paint
- 3. Make a Driftwood and Shell Wreath
- 4. Decorate Your Planter With Shells
- 5. Create A Clamshell Centerpiece
- 6. Light Up Rooms With Seashells
- 7. Design A Seashell Mirror
- 8. Create A Seashell Nightlight
- 9. Calm Children With Sensory Shell Play Bottles
- 10. Make Your Own Shell Topped Bottles
- 11. Listen To The Shell Wind and Bead Chime
- 12. Clean Up With A Shell Soap Dish
- 13. Create Shell Salt and Pepper Pinch Pots
- 14. Celebrate Christmas With Shell Ornaments
- 15. Attach Shell Magnets To Your Fridge
- 16. Display Your Shells In A Shadow Box
- 17. Stamp With Your Shells
- 18. Wear Homemade Shell Hairpins
- 19. Decorate Your Vase With Shells
- 20. Make DIY Starfish Napkin Holders
- Beach Crafted Bliss
What Can I Make With Shells?
Shells are versatile, easy to use decorations that can last a lifetime. When crafting with shells, your only limit is your imagination.
You can stick them to jars, decorate them with paint and even use shells to print coastal patterns onto cloth.
Options for shell decoration and crafting really are endless.
What Kind Of Paint Do You Use On Shells?
Acrylic paint works wonderfully. However as it’s a water based paint, you’ll need to make sure you don’t get your shells wet!
Puffy paint can be used to give shells texture, and dashes of watercolor create beautiful, translucent effects.
How Do You String Shells Together?
Strung shells are a great way to decorate patios.
To string shells you need to make holes in each of them with a hammer and nail. Next, thread through string knotted every three inches, then hang.Find a more detailed tutorial for Stringing Shells on eHow.
20 Best Shell Decor & Craft Ideas
Do you have some shells that you’re ready to show off?
We love decorating with shells. That’s why we’ve created this list of 20 Best Shell Decor & Craft ideas.
1. Clean and Preserve Shells to Last a Lifetime
Before you start decorating, make sure you clean your shells properly. It’ll help them last longer.
2. Decorate Your Seashells with Puffy Paint
Puffy paint is easy to make and is a great way to add texture and bold colors to your shells.
3. Make a Driftwood and Shell Wreath
Combine driftwood and shells to create a lovely shell wreaths, suitable for your door, or any room in your house.
4. Decorate Your Planter With Shells
Transform ugly plastic plant pots into majestic, shell covered planters with glue and your imagination.
5. Create A Clamshell Centerpiece
Clamshells are hard to find, but they make wonderful centerpieces. Arrange flowers on yours to bring any table to life.
6. Light Up Rooms With Seashells
Seashells are naturally translucent. That’s why they make such brilliant decorative light cases. Your can make your own.
7. Design A Seashell Mirror
Make your own awesome seashell mirror by fixing seashells to your mirror’s frame.
8. Create A Seashell Nightlight
Light shining through a translucent sea shell makes the perfect nightlight. Buy or make your own.
9. Calm Children With Sensory Shell Play Bottles
This sensory bottle is as relaxing as a dip in the ocean. Shells help create the perfect seaside scene that’s calming for children and easy to make.
10. Make Your Own Shell Topped Bottles
You can create these beachside bottles by fixing sensational shells to the top. They’re great ornaments in any room.
11. Listen To The Shell Wind and Bead Chime
String together shells and beads to create this wonderful wind chime. Hang it indoors or outdoors.
12. Clean Up With A Shell Soap Dish
Shells make superb soap dishes. Make your own with this simple guide.
13. Create Shell Salt and Pepper Pinch Pots
Relive coastal holidays every mealtime with these salt and pepper pinch pots made out of shells.
14. Celebrate Christmas With Shell Ornaments
Shells are a wonderful addition to any Christmas bauble. They’re also more festive than you think.
15. Attach Shell Magnets To Your Fridge
Hear the sea crash every time you open your fridge door with these attractive and easy to make shell magnets.
16. Display Your Shells In A Shadow Box
Shadow boxes are deep, wide and great places for displaying shells. Get your own shadow boxes and hang your shell pictures up for everyone to see.
17. Stamp With Your Shells
Look at this expressive fabric design. Instead of displaying your shells, use them again and again to create heartwarming prints like this one.
18. Wear Homemade Shell Hairpins
Don’t limited shell decoration and craft to your house. Create wonderful shell hairpins. This guide’s easy. More, it’s a great way to show off your beachside finds to your friends.
19. Decorate Your Vase With Shells
Glue shells onto your vases to create pretty coastal designs.
20. Make DIY Starfish Napkin Holders
Napkins are a must for any formal dinner. Make your napkins extra special by decorating their holders with starfish.
Beach Crafted Bliss
Bring the beach back into your home with these brilliant shell decoration and craft ideas. While you can’t always be at the seaside, with these decor designs, the seaside will always be with you.
If you listen hard, you’ll hear the waves lapping and feel the calm sea breeze.