Are you a fan of vintage Halloween images? Learn more about spooky collectibles of the season and what they’re worth.
- 35+ Creative Mason Jar Halloween Crafts To Upgrade Your Decor This Fall
- 65+ Awesome Halloween Front Door Decoration Ideas
- 51+ Creative Pumpkin Carving Ideas You Should Try This Halloween
- 51+ Cool Halloween Porch Decorations
- 51+ Spooky Halloween Party Decoration Ideas
- 51+ Cheap Indoor Halloween Decorating Ideas
- 27+ Creative Halloween Craft Ideas For Kids
- 31+ Scary Halloween Window Decoration Ideas
- 25+ Scary Halloween Decoration Ideas With Trash Bags
- 22 Scary Entrance Ideas For This Halloween
- 23+ Fun & Spooky Halloween Table Decoration Ideas
- 23+ Unexpected Halloween Decorating Ideas
- 56+ No-carve Pumpkin Decorating Ideas
- 74+ Spooky Black & White Halloween Decorating Ideas
- 29+ Best Halloween Wedding Theme Ideas
- 39+ Spooky Halloween Party Ideas
- 20+ Quick & Smart Last Minute Halloween Crafts & Hacks
- 24+ Animal Halloween Costumes For Kids & Adults
- 10+ Fun & Unique Homemade Halloween Costume Ideas
- 50+ Halloween Costumes For Adults
- Halloween Books For Kids
- Great Halloween Books For Preschoolers
- Cheap Homemade Halloween Costumes
- Halloween Costumes For Families
- Coupe Costume Ideas
- Scary Halloween Makeup Ideas
Vintage Halloween collectibles range in type from paper mache pumpkins to postcards, and range widely in price from $1 to several thousand.
Often people think of Halloween as a children’s holiday, but in collecting Halloween antiques, it’s important to remember that early American Halloween celebrations were intended for adults, not children.
In this article:
Different Types of Vintage Halloween Items
Ledenbach’s book outlines the various categories of vintage Halloween collections, including games, lanterns, candy containers, diecuts, noisemakers and other decorations.
There are certain very rare vintage Halloween items, such as a jardinière made by Rookwood in 1882 (valued at $5,000), a Halloween banjo or mandolin, or certain styles of composition candy containers from the 1920s. There are also a number of unique collectible items such as different Halloween games, candles, and liquor dispensers.
Halloween Collectible Manufacturers
Although many of the most valuable Halloween collectibles were produced in Germany for export to America, the two most prominent manufacturers of Halloween collectibles are the Dennison Manufacturing Company of Framingham, Massachusetts (founded in 1844) and the Beistle Company (founded in 1900) of Shippensburg, Pennsylvania. Each company is still in business.
Although labels were not always used on vintage Halloween decorations, a mark of either one of these companies ensures the item’s value.
Vintage Halloween Reproductions
There are literally hundreds of different “vintage Halloween’ manufacturers – so be careful when collecting. Just because something says “vintage” doesn’t mean it is definitely an antique.
The best way to ensure authenticity is to know the market. Ledenbach’s 2007 Vintage Halloween Collectibles book is an excellent way for collectors to learn the various types of Halloween antiques and how to tell the difference between authentic and fake items.
The book lists the value of 1,600 vintage Halloween collectibles, including their manufacturers, dates of manufacture, dimensions, and current pricing values.
One of the challenges of vintage Halloween collecting is that many of the old items (particularly the diecuts) are made of cardboard or paper, making them very fragile. Light exposure, temperature changes and dust can be detrimental to vintage Halloween collections, so keeping the items free from exposure to these elements will help maintain their values.
35+ Vintage Halloween Decorations
- Dollar Store Halloween Decorations
- Halloween Topiary Ideas
- Farmhouse Halloween Decor Ideas
- Gothic Halloween Decor Ideas
- Halloween Trophy Ideas
- Halloween Tombstone Ideas
- Scary Halloween Decoration Ideas
- Lighting Ideas For Halloween Night
- Haunted House Ideas For Halloween
- Halloween Wreath Ideas
- Vintage Halloween Decoration Ideas
- Halloween Outdoor Decoration Ideas