You may have cleaned your outdoor space in more than one way. You may already know that a power washer makes cleaning outdoor spaces easy and quick. Power washers can clean brick walls and stone walkways well. But can a power washer be used to clean composite decking?
Can a pressure washer be used to clean a composite decking?
Since it’s a composite deck that looks like wood, it doesn’t need as much maintenance as a real wood floor. But we do have to clean the deck outside every once in a while. When our living space is clean and comfortable, we can enjoy life more, don’t you think?
It is also more difficult to clean composite decking well. But if we want to use the composite decking for a long time, we need to keep it clean. Power washing could be a quick and easy way to get the job done. So, can we use a power washer to clean the deck?
Yes, you can use power washing on a composite deck. When you power wash a deck made of composite wood, you should pay attention to the four things below.
With care, you can power-wash a composite deck
So that the power washer won’t hurt your outdoor deck and so you can clean your composite deck better. Please keep these four things in mind.
1. When you use a power washer, use a wide nozzle. Also, keep the end of the hose about 6 inches from the deck. This should be enough to clean the decking without hurting it.
2. When you use a power washer, don’t use more than 1500 psi. If the pressure is too high, the surface of the deck could be damaged. Pressures that are higher than 1500 psi can be used by some businesses. But before you use it, check with the company that made it.
3. Before using the power washer, spray the deck with soapy water, and then scrub each deck with a soft bristle brush. Last, use water so that dirty water doesn’t stay on the deck boards after you clean them and form a film.
4. Decking needs to be cleaned piece by piece, going with the wood’s grain. This can make the composite material less likely to get scratched. It also makes it easier to clean the composite deck.
So, if you’re going to use a power washer, make sure you take all the necessary safety steps. Don’t do anything to your composite deck that could hurt it.
There are other ways to clean a composite deck board
If you don’t want to use a power washer to clean your composite deck, you can clean your garden floor the old-fashioned way. Cleaning composite decking the old way may take longer, but it is safer. To clean a composite deck, do these things.
1. Get rid of all the furniture, decorations, and other things. You will be able to clean your whole outdoor deck if you do this.
2. Use a broom to clean the deck of dirt and other things. Even the smallest cracks need to be cleaned. You can also clean the deck’s surface with a vacuum cleaner.
3. Prepare soap and warm water. First, rinse the composite deck with water. Then, wash it with soapy water. This will help get rid of any remaining dirt and junk.
Instead of soapy water, you can also use vinegar or baking soda. But don’t use chlorine bleach or other chemicals that are bad for the environment.
4. Use a soft-bristled brush to gently scrub your deck to get rid of all the dirt. Clean the wood in the direction of the grain. If you have a big deck outside, you can divide it into sections. Don’t let dirty water sit on your deck and make a film on it.
5. To clean your deck well, use a lot of water. Then, wait until the deck is dry to put your furniture and decorations back. You can also clean them up while you wait.
When cleaning a composite deck, there are three things you shouldn’t do
Composite deck boards don’t need to be cared for and fixed as often as wood decking. But that doesn’t mean you don’t have to clean the dirt and oil stains off the deck. Also, just because composite decking is easy to clean doesn’t mean you can do it as often as you want. Here are a few things you shouldn’t do when cleaning a composite deck. so you can clean your composite deck better without damaging the surface.
When the wrong cleaner is used
If you clean your deck with the wrong product, it can get damaged. Check the label of any cleaner you buy, and never use a “deck cleaner” that has chlorine bleach in it. Bleach with chlorine is very corrosive, and it can damage the surface of your deck. At the end of the day, it will change the color of your deck and make any problems with mold or mildew worse. So, don’t use chlorine bleach. Instead, use a cleaner with sodium carbonate.
Not cleaning the deck seams
Even though composite decking can help stop mold and mildew from growing. When you clean your composite deck, if you don’t clean the seams well, it won’t look as good as it could. Then
Over time, dirt and trash will pile up. Then mildew and mold will start to grow in the deck’s seams. So, at least once a year, you should clean the spaces between your composite deck boards. This will help the air move between the decks and keep the bottom dry.
If you don’t have the right tools
You have to be more careful when you clean a composite deck. You can clean up dirt and other things with a broom or a garden hose. Use a soft-bristled brush at all times to clean more thoroughly. Instead of a metal shovel, use a plastic one to move snow.
Composite decking increases the value of your home and also makes it look better. It’s important to know how to take care of your composite decking.