Lighting is an integral part of any bathroom or kitchen design. Placing lights correctly will help to enhance and highlight the rooms.
When completing a kitchen or bathroom design, lights can almost become an afterthought. So often taken for granted, that it’s nearly a given that lights will always be there. Learning to place these lights in strategic areas will show off the room’s design to the best advantage, and provide the illumination needed to make the most of the space.
- Under Cabinets and Over Islands
- #1. Under cabinet outlet strips
- #2. How to Choose The Best Under Cabinet Lighting
- #3. Under Cabinet Lighting – Simply design
- #4. Gas cooktop with under cabinet lighting, built-in hood
- #5. How to Install Under Cabinet Lighting in Your Kitchen
- #6. Installing under-cabinet lighting
- #7. Under cabinet kitchen lighting ideas
- #8. 4 Types of Under-Cabinet Lighting
- #9. Before and after adding under cabinet lighting to a kitchen
- #10. DIY Upper and Lower Cabinet Lighting
- #11. Darlana Lanterns
- #12. Modern Kitchen Lighting Over Island Ideas
- #13. Rustic Pendant Lighting in a Farmhouse Kitchen
- #14. Kitchen Pendants Lights Over Island
- #15. DIY Light Fixtures For The Kitchen
- #16. Kitchen Lighting Fixtures
- #17. Pendant Lighting for Kitchen Island
- #18. Copper lanterns with black bails over 15-foot island
- Light up Mirrors and Showers
- #19. Spa Inspired Bathrooms
- #20. Modern Bathroom Light
- #21. Halo Tall LED Light Bathroom Mirror
- #22. Lighting Ideas for small bathroom
- #23. DIY Rustic Wood Mirror Frame
- #24. Line your bathroom wall with great quotes
- #25. Beautiful Urban Farmhouse Master Bathroom Remodel
- #26. How to frame a bathroom mirror
- #27. Tub to shower conversion
- #28. Beveled Subway Tile in Shower
- #29. Tropical Shower
- Go Green to Stay Bright
Under Cabinets and Over Islands
When considering lighting for a kitchen design, overall lighting, such as track lighting or recessed lights, should not be the only lights used. While these lights will brighten the entire space, they can cast shadows and add little in the way of visual appeal.
Consider using under cabinet lighting above the kitchen counters. This will eliminate shadows over a frequently used work area, and can also serve to showoff backsplash designs. Be sure to take this into consideration when ordering the cabinets to leave enough clearance for them.
For extra visual appeal, try adding pendant lights or chandeliers over islands and eating areas. This will help highlight the spaces and visually single them out for the rest of the room.
For modern kitchens, consider abstract glass pendants, or sleek, minimalist stainless steel pendants. For more traditional kitchens, consider using different metals, such as bronze or copper, with textured shades.
If there are desk or bar sink areas in the kitchen, try highlighting them with matching wall sconces to complete the look.
#1. Under cabinet outlet strips
#2. How to Choose The Best Under Cabinet Lighting
#3. Under Cabinet Lighting – Simply design
#4. Gas cooktop with under cabinet lighting, built-in hood
#5. How to Install Under Cabinet Lighting in Your Kitchen
#6. Installing under-cabinet lighting
#7. Under cabinet kitchen lighting ideas
#8. 4 Types of Under-Cabinet Lighting
#9. Before and after adding under cabinet lighting to a kitchen
#10. DIY Upper and Lower Cabinet Lighting
#11. Darlana Lanterns
#12. Modern Kitchen Lighting Over Island Ideas
#13. Rustic Pendant Lighting in a Farmhouse Kitchen
- Dollar Store Halloween Decorations
- Halloween Topiary Ideas
- Farmhouse Halloween Decor Ideas
- Gothic Halloween Decor Ideas
- Halloween Trophy Ideas
- Halloween Tombstone Ideas
- Scary Halloween Decoration Ideas
- Lighting Ideas For Halloween Night
- Haunted House Ideas For Halloween
- Halloween Wreath Ideas
- Vintage Halloween Decoration Ideas
- Halloween Outdoor Decoration Ideas
#14. Kitchen Pendants Lights Over Island
#15. DIY Light Fixtures For The Kitchen
#16. Kitchen Lighting Fixtures
#17. Pendant Lighting for Kitchen Island
#18. Copper lanterns with black bails over 15-foot island
Light up Mirrors and Showers
While there should be a source of overhead light in a bathroom for even lighting, enhance the bathroom design by providing extra lighting near any mirrors and in the shower area. Add extra ventilation as well by including a light combined with a vent either in or just outside the shower.
Try adding wall sconces to either side of the mirror or medicine cabinet for a way to tie the accessories together while lighting up the work space. If there is enough room above the mirror, install a double sconce directly over head for more focused light.
Many faucet and bathroom accessories manufacturer’s also produce matching sconces to complete the look of the bathroom. Ask at the plumbing showroom to see potential choices. If it’s not possible to match the design completely, try to keep metal finishes consistent throughout the room.
#19. Spa Inspired Bathrooms
#20. Modern Bathroom Light
#21. Halo Tall LED Light Bathroom Mirror
#22. Lighting Ideas for small bathroom
#23. DIY Rustic Wood Mirror Frame
#24. Line your bathroom wall with great quotes
#25. Beautiful Urban Farmhouse Master Bathroom Remodel
#26. How to frame a bathroom mirror
#27. Tub to shower conversion
#28. Beveled Subway Tile in Shower
#29. Tropical Shower
Go Green to Stay Bright
Many lighting manufacturer’s, particularly those of kitchen and bathroom lighting, are beginning to provide eco-friendly fluorescent options in their designs. Many sconces and pendants are available in either eco-friendly or traditional format, and will come with a fluorescent bulb provided at no extra charge, so be sure to ask when considering options.
#30. White bathroom
#31. Gorgeous master bathroom
Remember that the lighting should enhance the rest of the room and the design, not over power it. There can be too much of a good thing, so check with an electrician when planning a layout. Look for designs that compliment the rest of the room, and finish off the project with flair.