If you are looking for some spooky ideas for decorating the exterior of your house and yard for Halloween this year, consider one of these creative themes.
- 35+ Creative Mason Jar Halloween Crafts To Upgrade Your Decor This Fall
- 65+ Awesome Halloween Front Door Decoration Ideas
- 51+ Creative Pumpkin Carving Ideas You Should Try This Halloween
- 51+ Cool Halloween Porch Decorations
- 51+ Spooky Halloween Party Decoration Ideas
- 51+ Cheap Indoor Halloween Decorating Ideas
- 27+ Creative Halloween Craft Ideas For Kids
- 31+ Scary Halloween Window Decoration Ideas
- 25+ Scary Halloween Decoration Ideas With Trash Bags
- 22 Scary Entrance Ideas For This Halloween
- 23+ Fun & Spooky Halloween Table Decoration Ideas
- 23+ Unexpected Halloween Decorating Ideas
- 56+ No-carve Pumpkin Decorating Ideas
- 74+ Spooky Black & White Halloween Decorating Ideas
- 29+ Best Halloween Wedding Theme Ideas
- 39+ Spooky Halloween Party Ideas
- 20+ Quick & Smart Last Minute Halloween Crafts & Hacks
- 24+ Animal Halloween Costumes For Kids & Adults
- 10+ Fun & Unique Homemade Halloween Costume Ideas
- 50+ Halloween Costumes For Adults
- Halloween Books For Kids
- Great Halloween Books For Preschoolers
- Cheap Homemade Halloween Costumes
- Halloween Costumes For Families
- Coupe Costume Ideas
- Scary Halloween Makeup Ideas
When decorating your house for Halloween, you can go beyond the typical decorations and instead opt to give your house an overall theme. Keep in mind that some of these scenarios may not be appropriate for very young trick or treaters. Here are a few to consider:
Famous Horror Movie Characters
Find costumes of famous slasher movie characters, like Jason from Friday the 13th, Freddy Kruger from a Nightmare on Elm Street, Ghostface from the Scream movies, and so forth.
Stuff the costume with clothing or towels to make it look life-like and then place it on a long wooden stake in the ground. Use wire hangers in the sleeves so you can position the arms in a frightening manner. Have a few of them lined up along your pathway or backlit in windows.
Take three witch’s costumes, and stuff and stake them as with the slasher costumes above. Position them around a large black pot in your front yard. Place an inexpensive bubble machine in the pot (usually under $20). Put large sticks in the witches’ hands making it look like they are stirring the witches’ brew. If you can find a recording of witches laughing, have that playing as well.
Pick a theme of gargoyles, spiders, or bats. Get several of all shapes and sizes and place them all over the exterior of your house.
You can have them perched over the top of the door, hanging from gutters and tree branches, on the roof, on stairs, lamp posts, pathways and the front door.
Place outdoor spot lights on them to make them appear even scarier. If you can have the spot lights on a motion sensor, so that they turn on when people walk by, even better.
Recreate a crime scene by lining your walkway with police tape, drawing chalk outlines on your driveway, playing a tape of screams, even have a fake body lying under a white sheet. A bloody door cover will also add to the effect.
You can create the illusion of a haunted house quite easily. Thunder probes are inexpensive devices (around $25) that mimic the sound of thunder with flashes of lightening. You could also have a CD of organ music playing, cob webs all over the exterior of your house, ghosts in window, and fake rats by the front door.
If you want something more elaborate and have several front facing windows, consider a classic horror film image in each. For example, you will find a lot of Halloween stores are selling blood covered shower curtains. So you could recreate the shower scene from the movie Psycho in one window with cardboard cutouts of the two characters back lit behind the curtain.
Outdoor Halloween Decor Ideas
#1. Ghost leaf bags
#2. Packing tape ghost
#3. Pumpkin arch
#4. DIY Mummy
#5. Spider sacks
#6. Cloaked Ghosts
#7. Barbie Zombies
#8. Tomato Cage Ghost
#9. Spooky house
#10. Touch Nothing and Nothing will Touch You
#11. Front door
#12. Black cat
#13. Monster mailbox
#14. Pumpkin man
#15. Trash bag spiderwebs
#16. Skull ghosts
#17. Spooky entrance
- Dollar Store Halloween Decorations
- Halloween Topiary Ideas
- Farmhouse Halloween Decor Ideas
- Gothic Halloween Decor Ideas
- Halloween Trophy Ideas
- Halloween Tombstone Ideas
- Scary Halloween Decoration Ideas
- Lighting Ideas For Halloween Night
- Haunted House Ideas For Halloween
- Halloween Wreath Ideas
- Vintage Halloween Decoration Ideas
- Halloween Outdoor Decoration Ideas