The half bathroom is a common feature in many homes. Utilize modern bathroom design to turn half bathrooms into contemporary bathrooms.
In many urban areas, the contemporary bathroom design is being utilized more frequently than ever before. This sleek, modern look which makes use of new and innovative materials is not relegated solely to the master or full bath. The half bathroom or powder room gets a makeover as well by using contemporary small bathroom fixtures and tile.
In this article:
- The Half Bathroom Floor
- Contemporary Half Bathroom Fixtures
- Contemporary Half Bathroom Colors
- Contemporary Small Bathroom Designs
- #1. Pedestal sink and beige walls
- #2. Tub/shower combo
- #3. Red tile and mosaic tile bathroom design
- #4. Trendy bathroom design in San Francisco
- #5. Contemporary blue tile and glass tile alcove shower
- #6. Trendy bathroom with a vessel sink
- #7. Contemporary powder room remodel in Melbourne
- #8. Contemporary bathroom idea in Calgary with an undermount sink
- #9. Contemporary bathroom with a console sink and multicolored walls
- #10. Transitional beige tile bathroom remodel with a vessel sink, open cabinets and a wall-mount toilet
- #11. Mid-sized trendy cement tile floor and multicolored floor powder room design
- #12. Small trendy 3/4 dark wood floor bathroom design in San Francisco with gray walls and a console sink
- #13. Trendy powder room with an integrated sink, a wall-mount toilet, gray walls and white countertops
- #14. Contemporary modern small bathroom
- #15. Classically styled small bathroom with tongue and groove panelling
- #16. Mid-sized trendy master gray tile
- #17. Trendy powder room with a pedestal sink
- #18. Vessel sink, flat-panel cabinets, white cabinets and white countertops
- #19. Mid-sized trendy bathroom with a wall-mount sink
- #20. Trendy gray floor bathroom with orange walls
The Half Bathroom Floor
To begin maximizing the visual impact of the half bathroom design, begin with the floor. Tile has a large impact on how the room is perceived. Since the half bathroom has no need for wall tile, it is typically eliminated altogether in the contemporary half bathroom.
When designing a small bathroom, the size of the tile used is important as it can visually enlarge the room, or merely make the viewer more aware of its small size. For this reason, the floor tile should be either large format; at least 12” in size if not larger or mosaic tiles.
Large format tiles have fewer grout lines, which can give the room a more open appearance. Large tiles also lend themselves well to the contemporary bathroom design, as it creates a sleeker, less busy appearance.
Mosaic tiles, while they do contain a great deal of grout, produce the effect of a pattern on the floor, which also helps to visually enlarge the room. Glass tile mosaics, custom tile shapes and colors and penny tiles are all ways to use mosaics on the contemporary half bathroom floor to both enlarge the room, and keep the style modern.
Contemporary Half Bathroom Fixtures
The modern half bathroom should remain functional, while still incorporating contemporary style. To this end, the use of a small, one piece toilet, or a wall hung, concealed carrier toilet should be used.
One piece toilets are generally smaller in profile, as well as sleek in design. Concealed carrier wall hung toilets can help to visually maximize the space, as the floor tile continues beneath the toilet and the tank or carrier is hidden in the wall.
The half bathroom is one of the perfect places to use contemporary sink and vanity styles. Vessel sinks can be placed in stands, or on very narrow vanities, since the faucet can be mounted to one side, or in the wall. Combining a glass vessel sink with a glass tile floor can make a bold statement in a small bathroom, while visually enhancing the size of the room.
Wall hung vanities, and open concept leg stands also work well in small bathroom. Both will visually enlarge the room, and frequently these style of vanities can be customized to be narrower than standard, making more access room available.
Contemporary Half Bathroom Colors
Bold colors such as reds and lime greens are becoming increasingly popular in modern bathroom design. To keep from overwhelming a small space with a bold color, confine the color to one or two areas. For example, if using a bold red floor, keep the wall color to soft cool tones, such as light gray. Tie the design together by using a bold red vessel sink with a cool toned, chrome faucet.
If choosing to use a bold wall color, consider using either a large format floor tile with a textured surface that will add pop without color, use a custom mosaic floor with a small amount of the wall color.
Mosaic floors made up of different shapes of tile can contain multiple colors; take a small repeating section of the pattern to match to the bold wall color. Keep the vanity, sink and toilet to clean, crisp whites to further make the color pop.
Try to use cohesive elements in the small bathroom design. Keep colors to a minimum, and let shapes, textures or materials be repeated in multiple areas to keep from overwhelming the space. Keep lines crisp and clean, and visually maximize the space to create a modern half bathroom that as much use as it does compliments.